27 Sept 2012

Something old, something new...

You know the poem some brides incorporate into their wedding day...

Something old, something new 
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe. 

Apparently a sixpence was a silver coin that was minted in Britain from 1551 to 1967 worth six pennies. So this wedding tradition is definitely English! 


Each item in this poem represents a good-luck token for the bride. If she carries all of them on her wedding day, her marriage will be a happy one....(so they say)! I wonder if I miss one of them, will my marriage be doomed to failure forever  hmmm

Something OLD
They say something old symbolises continuity with the bride's family and the past. In other words, never forgetting where she's come from. My version of something old will be a photocopy of my grandmother and late grandfather on their wedding day in my clutch handbag. I have always loved this photograph




Something NEW
They say this means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead. The new item for me will be my wedding dress. I can't wait to wear it!

Something BORROWED
This is sometimes an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. In our case, I'm borrowing a Thai wedding tradition and incorporating their water blessing ceremony into our day.


Something BLUE
As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries. Apparently in ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. I found a good way to reconcile this one (an added bonus, I needed some lovely perfume anyway). And so on our wedding day, I'll be wearing my favourite fragrance by Dolce & Gabbana, 'Light Blue'. It smells fresh, divine and dreamy....! 


3 comments:

  1. The clutch the bride is carrying seems to be very old but is still looking fancy and beautiful . I love the couple photograph posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You showed a photograph of a english traditional classical bride, nice to see that couple. If you also post a thai bride at your another post and if possible their traditions also. Thanks

    ReplyDelete